Sunday, 6 March 2011

Puerto Escondido, Mexico

The bus ride from Oaxaca City to Puerto Escondido took 7 hours!!! It was pleasant but I flipped in the beginning because of the crazy turns and narrow 2-way roads next to the valley. Our driver was driving with one hand while fiddling around with the other. And it got seriously worrying when we were in the middle of a 2-way road and I could see many crosses at the turn ahead of the road!!!

Anyhow, we got here safe and sound. We strolled around the area as it wasn't very big. The locals were really friendly and if they came up to sell you stuff, you can just say no politely and the would walk away, they won't hassle you.

The next day, we headed off to the beach - Playa Zicatela and Playa Principal. Playa Zicatela is more suitable for surfers as the waves were huge! And I am not joking, most of the surfers were totally ripped and typical blonde with tan skin, like I was watching Home and Away or something.

Playa Principal is more suitable for swimming. I didn't get into the water because there were too many kids, I could just imagine how much piss there is in the water. Yes, I know I am weird. My hubby already said it haha..

It took us about 3 hours to walk the beaches, Playa Zicatela is massive. And we felt like total athletes after the walk haha..

Then this morning, we went fishing and dolphins watching. We didn't catch anything but we saw about a hundred dolphins and 3 whales...they were as big as a bus! It's my first time to see a whale so I was thrilled, they are incredible animals. I couldn't take any up close photos because I froze when we got near them. All I could say was, "oh my god, oh my god."

A huge bonus - we saw turtles having sex (again my first time!) haha...and our guide picked up A DEAD SHARK on our way back!!! I was sad for the dead shark but I was also really excited to see and touch one! When we got back to the shore, all the locals came crowding around our boat, everyone was curious I guess.

So it's been an incredible day today. We are now waiting for our bus to San Cristobal in 4 hours and the journey will be about 12 hours, so God knows when we will be online again.