Monday, 14 March 2011

Palenque, Merida and Uxmal - Mexico

We have been doing nothing but visiting ruins which I love.

You can read a lot about Palenque on the internet so I am not going to go into details. All I can say it's a must go place!

Palenque was first occupied in 100 B.C., what you see today, it's only 2% of the actual Palenque!!! The remaining 98% is still buried in the jungle. Now, that's incredible. Go to my facebook to see the photos, it's AMAZING!

The next day we took a bus to Merida. Same as other Mexican cities, the zocalo, city hall, museum, cathedral. But I must say Merida is the least impressive Mexico City of our Mexican trip when compared to Mexico City, Oaxaca City and San Cristobal.

You only need half a day in Merida and you would have seen everything.

The day after, we did a da trip to Uxmal and Kabah. Uxmal was first occupied in 600 A.D and Kabah in 750 A.D. Both sites have spectacular Maya inscriptions which was just unbelievable!

As a historical site, I found Palenque more mesmerizing but Uxmal and Kabah were special in the way they have those funny Maya symbols everywhere. It was a privilege to see those inscriptions with my own eyes.

The bad news of the day was the 8.9 magnitude earthquake and tsunami in Japan. My prayers are with everyone in Japan.