Saturday 19 February 2011

Canada - Edmonton, Alberta


Time flies, I can't believe we will be leaving for New York tomorrow.
1
It's been a joyful week to be back in Edmonton. I can't believe I would live the day to say this but I actually really missed the snow and trees...and of course my family.
1
Yesterday, I took Rupert to see my schools - Harry Ainlay High School and the University of Alberta; we also drove by Whyte Ave a few times but it was too cold to walk around. We drove around William Hawrelak Park where Rupert rolled in the snow and nearly lost his fingers because it was so cold.
1
For those of you who don't know, Edmonton is the capital of Alberta. Population is about 782,500 and city area is about 684 sq km.
1
Edmonton is famous for housing the largest mall in North America - the West Edmonton Mall, the Edmonton Oilers (ice hockey) and Edmonton Eskimos (Canadian football) and it's ridiculous amount of snow (weather can get to -40 in the winter, it is now about -21).
1
In general, it's cheaper to live in the province of Alberta than other provinces in Canada. Alberta is the largest producer of conventional crude oil, synthetic crude and gas in Canada. So Alberta is the only province not subject to PST (provincial sales tax), Albertans are only subject to the the GST (the federal sales tax, Goods & Services Tax).

Maybe because I haven't been back to Edmonton for so long, I learnt to appreciate the beautiful blue sky, trees, crispy fresh air, personal space and diamond like snowflakes, Edmonton is truly a winter wonderland.
I am certainly going to miss Edmonton, my family, home and friends.

*Some of the information about Edmonton and Alberta are from Wikipedia